Friday, July 24, 2015

Commentary Entry

The Great Divide: Print or Digital?
(Click on the magazine to read the article)
Image: Scott Buschman

Who immediately reads all of the educational publications that they subscribe to when so many other print sources are regularly competing for our attention? Well, it is July, also known as summer vacation for people like us that teach in a traditional classroom. This is the time of year we catch up on ALL of the hot topics that have been discussed throughout the rest of the year. I’m no different than the average procrastinator. First on my hit list as it were, is the dusty stack of California Educator magazines I have been collecting for just this occasion.

One article headline caught my eye back in March when the magazine first appeared in my mailbox. “Print or Digital”? I find it ironic… hold on, let me pause on the irony until after I share my thoughts on the article. It’ll be more impactful.

I am not at all surprised that, given the choice, most students are choosing to read actual books over online books. I have done my own research, albeit with eight-year olds, and found similar results. It started with one very bright little red-haired student who, along with everyone else in my classroom, had access to an iPad all of her own for classroom activities, including reading, writing, and arithmetic (couldn’t help myself). Every day, while the other 27 students were busily clicking and dragging, Laura cast her iPad aside, and on her own, picked up non-digital resources with which to learn.

The moment came where I just had to know why she wasn’t buying into the excitement all around her, so I asked her. Laura’s comments were alike the comments I read in the article. She had trouble finding and keeping her place because she liked to scroll back to connect something she had previously read to something she was currently reading. In addition, she just liked having the book (pencil, paper, etc.) in her hand. As she said, “I don’t see what the big deal is with all of these electronics, anyway”. Now, mind you, Laura is a digital native, that is she grew up on tablets, smart phones, computer-based games… the works! In fact, when she arrived home each day after school, she went straight to her electronics! She just preferred to learn with traditional materials. In fact, as the year went on, more of my students traded in the digital books for traditional books. They liked carrying them around, and they enjoyed placing bookmarks in them.

I still believe in individuality, and knowing my students. One size rarely fits all. Never has, never will. With that comes a responsibility on my part as a teacher to ensure that each student is learning in the best way they can. I do expect my students to spend time with digital resources so they are prepared for online standardized testing, and so that they have the necessary skills to advance their education, and eventually land a job. However, offering print and digital activities gives students the choice to select what works for them, and allows students like Laura to feel confident in her learning. I realize that in some cases both types of materials cannot be offered, especially with our state set on digitizing textbooks for all students, but until that time comes…
Now, for my irony… While I was typing this blog commentary, I had both the paper version and the online version of the article open, and giggled out loud when I found myself reading from them both.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this article and you connected as I found myself smiling as I read the last part. I do think it is an interesting debate and topic. I think balance is key and I love that you give your pupils choice where you can. I am not sure how I feel about mandated e-textbooks. I guess I will have to just monitor what happens.
    Anyway thanks for an interesting post which was really relevant to me as a 5th grade teacher. It has given me pause for thought and I will make sure that I watch and ask pupils about it more next year as we have greater access to ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will always let us know... if not through words, through actions. We just need to pay attention. Thank you, Andrew for responding. :)

      Delete
  2. "One size rarely fits all." Yes, yes, yes. Oh my goodness yes. One of my biggest issues with all of the standardized testing that has become such a part of education is that the tests are, well, standardized. And learners are individuals. I prefer to do almost all of my reading - professionally, educationally and personally - through my tablet. I like the digital interface and I love the fact that when my ADD kicks in I can read something different because I carry around my entire library in a device that weighs less than the Sunday NY Times. But one of my venture partners prefers reading on paper. The tactile feel of it helps him remember, he says. I think offering learners a choice when possible is a best practice. Thanks for sharing Cambria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response, Jeff. I am not a fan of homework for the same reason... unless I create homework for each person, IT becomes standardized, too! (I think we both commented on the HW post).

      Delete
  3. Cambria - first of all you found a great article! I connected to it on multiple points. Both print and digital have their place and of course for different people. Congratulations to you for recognizing Laura's preference of learning, and congratulations to her for not feeling pressures to using a tool that was not working for her. I often have students in my math class who prefer to work problems out by hand, while others will find any app necessary so they can "be sure" it's correct. Again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great when we take the time to see how each student learns. Thank you, Jennie, for the comments. Sounds like we are a great group of teachers! ;)

      Delete