Thursday, July 16, 2015

List Entry

I gave quite a bit of thought to this assignment, in particular I was trying to come up with items to list. I felt ready to write out, in detail I might add, the ol’ “Bucket List”, but thought better of it when I realized that my third grade students might not have one, yet. ;) Since I intend to use this blog as a model for their blogging, I decided to tailor this list entry to them. Here is my list for a beginning of the school year blogging assignment.


10 Interesting Things about Me!
by Ms. Tooley


  1. I can juggle.
  2. I am allergic to cats, but I have one (his name is Kitty).
  3. I was the first girl on a boy’s little league team when they first allowed girls.
  4. I met my teen idol (when I was an adult).
  5. I’m as old as a typical grandmother, but I manage and play on an adult softball team.
  6. After a 26 year break, I am back in college (and it’s all online)!
  7. I have visited 36 states and 7 countries.
  8. I have completed 6 triathlons (swimming, biking and running).
  9. I am afraid of heights, but I fly in airplanes.
  10. I am a vegetarian (herbivore).

11 comments:

  1. This would be a great first day activity. I always do a little autobiographical activity but with pen and paper. Using a blog is a great idea. It sounds like there would be some interesting stories behind some of the items on your list (ie Who did you meet? How did it happen?) These become great conversation starters that build a healthy classroom climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As simple as this might seem in nature, I gave great thought to it. I value jumping into technology, and learning along with my students, even if I am unsure, myself, of how it all works. It's the "Communities of Practice" philosophy. So, I appreciate that you see the value in this first day activity and have noticed its merit for developing further communication. Oh, and by the way, it was Steve Perry. I know you were wondering! ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can juggle." That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lead in to "I learned to juggle when I was your age by practicing every day and staying committed to the process". Then I can refer back to it all year, well, that, and other things I work(ed) hard at, to demonstrate perseverance and determination. Students need to see us as humans that work hard at things, also.

      Delete
  4. This is rather unique way to do the list entry, and I think the first time that I have seen this approach in five years of teaching this course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the teachers in my life have said that at one time or another. ;)

      Delete
  5. Cambria, I love that you do the "10 things about you". I teach high school and still do this on the first day of school each year. You can learn a lot about your students this way.
    PS: Awesome that you play softball! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. I can tell you that my son loved the first day activities in high school! He's on the shy side, so involving everyone in a "get to know you better" activity was helpful. Yay, teachers!

      Delete
  6. I like this idea. Thanks for sharing. That is impressive that you can juggle. Keep up the traveling. It is my favorite thing to do in the world. I have been to 49 states and 8 countries. I also am a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete