Sunday, July 19, 2015

Discussion Question Entry


Discussion Question: Why blog in a third grade classroom?


Google: Free to Use or Share

I have been using my blog as an example for what my third graders will start doing next month, but I’m going to switch it up a bit for this assignment. Trying to find a topic that all 22 or so of us has experience in, or opinions on was tough. I think I read that not everyone in our Blogging class is a classroom teacher, or even involved with students so if the discussion question does not apply to your current position, feel free to improvise on your answers, just to keep the discussion going. I need the practice!

Although I consider myself to be a technology trendsetter in my school environment, not everyone sees it that way. Each time I implement a new tool, instead of interest, I receive a fair amount of disdain. Mainly, others wonder how I can achieve the state standards when my students are always “playing around”. Like I read on someone’s twitter feed about PBL (and retweeted), it can appear “messy” at times. I have great parent and administrative support, so I practice being grateful for that.

I plan to implement blogging this year with my third graders. I already KNOW there will be negative reactions from people. Of course, I know for this assignment, I’m speaking to a forum of educational technologists, so I’m anticipating positive support from all of you, but for the sake of this discussion, maybe some of you can play “Devil’s Advocate”? This will allow others of us to practice stating our philosophy about blogging in the classroom.


4 comments:

  1. Cambria, I think that you need to have a clear plan for why you want to do it and an answer to the question "why blog?" Whynot something else? What does the blogging tool afford you that other tools - technical and otherwise - not afford you? If you have an answer to that question, you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's typically the same answer to the other questions I get asked. It's about developing 21st century skills in today's global economy, part of which is online communication. Being able to clearly state one's thoughts is a skill that needs to be developed. Blogging, email, online surveys, are all vehicles for developing these skills. How's that? ;)

      Delete
  2. Cambria,

    I feel your pain. I have the same desire to try new things. In the past I was frustrated by this, but then I realized I might not find link minded teachers in my school, or even district, but that there are people out there who are already doing what I want to do. So I look for them as a PLN. Maybe this class can become a Blogging PLN, with a Twitter hashtag after we are finished with the class.

    The other idea that I have is a cousin to Michael's: Start small. Start with something you can manage confidently. Then build on that. Accept failure as a sign that you are trying. Find supporters and celebrate student successes, no matter how small. Build on that foundation.

    Blogging could be real...on a blog that all could see, or it could be using a Google Doc, shared view only with all students. You will figure out the methods. I think this is a great idea. You are doing your students a great favor by starting this when they are so young.

    Bravo! Ignore the naysayers. Be an Edison!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I like that idea of becoming a PLN after class is done!
      2. I'm a "jump into it" kind of teacher. Most of the time, the students figure out more in a day or two
      then I can in weeks of trying out something, which is why others frown upon my teaching style.
      Most teachers still want to be in control of everything. They couldn't imagine having the
      students figure it out first.
      3. We will be using the iPad app: Kidblog. After all of my research last year, I felt that was the best
      option for my students. I wanted Blogger, but for now, it's still restricted to our students.

      Delete