Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Blogging with Third Graders

Blogging with Third Graders


This week in edtech#537, “Blogging in the Classroom”, our professor asked us to write 4 blogs entries:


-Any Blog Entry with an embedded image
-Any Blog Entry with an embedded audio file
-Any Blog Entry with an embedded Video File
-Any Blog Entry with an embedded Poll


The first thing I thought when I saw the audio file was...



… but then, I began to think of uses for it in the classroom, and my list started to GROW!


Educational Uses for Audio Files for Third Grade Students (or any relevant grade level):

1. Record yourself reading a book.
2. Create a weekly podcast series.
3. Write and record your autobiography.
4. Write and record a classmate’s biography.
5. Write and record a famous person’s biography.
6. Create and record a poem about a geometric solid.
7. Create and record a song that your favorite book character might sing.
8. Record your answers to assignments/tests.
9. Show what you know about any subject by recording it.
10. Record “what I did in school today” and send it to your family.
11. Record a commentary on what a classmate is doing. (Andrew's idea)
12. Narrate a piece of your artwork. (Andrew's idea)
13. Summarize a chapter in your book. (Emily's idea)
14. Discuss plot, character, setting, and other story elements from your book. (Emily's idea)


For this assignment, I recorded my audio file in a free application for Macs and PC’s called Audacity that you can download yourself from their website. It really is quick to use, and you can find several tutorials on youtube, or if you’re visual, you can read how it works in this pdf.

18 comments:

  1. I am sure that there was a more clean way to embed this audio file, but Blogger doesn't interface well with audio, just video and images. If anyone else is using Blogger, and can give me info on making this look better... I'm open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The document you embedded doesn't give permission for us to view it.

    I like your lists of how to use audio in the classroom. I might steal a few of those ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was working last night, but now I can't get it either. :( It may just be a Google glitch. Sometimes that happens. I will try again in a while and then troubleshoot. feel free to use the ideas. Are there any you thought of?

      Delete
  3. I like that you made your own file - nice touch. Great ideas which I will borrow. I do think listening is a different skill. A lot of evidence shows that if we overload the visual channel in our brains the audio doesn't pick up. Mayer's work is good to read. How about these two?

    Narrating a piece of artwork that they have completed?
    Record a 'commentary' as a friend completes a skill/sport etc.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I value those ideas, Andrew, and I agree that listening is a different skill. I learned about Mayer and cognitive overload with you in 513, I think (last Spring). Thank you for the reminder.

      Delete
    2. Your ideas made the list! See above!

      Delete
  4. Great list of ideas to use audio recordings for! I was just discussing, with another teacher, how audio blog posts could be used in a literacy class for students to summarize each chapter in a book they are reading for class and discuss plot, theme, character, etc...whatever standard they were covering at the time. I also like Mr. Macrae's idea of narrating a piece of artwork upon completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the additions to my list, Emily. I just hope Blogger allows for an audio upload at some point. I would be more apt to use audio with my students' blogs if the interface were smoother.

      Delete
    2. Your ideas made the list! See above!

      Delete
  5. I love your list of ideas. This is a great resource since I teach second grade. I really want my students to record themselves reading their favorite book and share them with the first graders and kinders. Maybe I can even get the third grade teachers to do the same for my class. They could become part of our listen to reading library. I think that the kids would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that with tape recorders and cassettes a hundred years ago! ;) Now, it's so much easier to accomplish the same thing with audio recording apps. You might even be able to link a QR code to the audio recording and have them posted in your library. There are so many uses!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list for how to use audio in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the list of ways to use audio in the classroom, many of them I had not really thought of before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your list of ways to use audio in the classroom. I instruct 7th grade students with disabilities English Language Arts and this list will be useful for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that, Danielle. Let me know if there are any others I should add.

      Delete