Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Still Learning




There’s a lot of things that I said I would never do,

or that would never be “me”

such as living in the suburbs

(I’m more of a diversity kind of girl),






Or... having a cat that

I refer to as one of my kids,

for obvious reasons,

(I made it to almost 50 years old),


and steering the wheel of a twin-engine plane (I’m DEATHLY afraid of heights),

but as John Lennon said…

“Life is what happens when you are making other plans.”

So, now we have yet one more item to add to the list of “Who? Me? Never!”.


 
I think my initial resistance to being a “Tweeter” was that I was happy with Facebook, and I figured, like everything else, once word caught on, there would be a plethora of social media platforms, and I didn’t have the time to participate in them all. Well, as a result of one of my graduate school classes, “Blogging in the Classroom”, I was required to create a Twitter account.

It’s been just about 6 weeks now that I have been tweeting… well, learning to tweet would be more precise. There is definitely a learning curve with learning a new language! Grammar and punctuation appear to not matter. Nor does knowing whether or not people “like” what you say or post, but my classmates and professor have been kind in guiding me through it all.

I really chose to blog about my Twitter experience because I can honestly say that I did not know what I was missing! I have had the best time gathering (“Favoriting” if you will) teaching resources that have me inspired to start this next school year! I have been following some experts in the field of iPad use, and Google Apps for Education. One in particular, Alice Keeler, does not sleep! Either that, or she has a crew of folks who tweet while she is sleeping because she is on there ‘round the clock! I am a huge fan of GAFE, and am always on the lookout for like-minded people who are willing to freely share their successes. Twitter gives me an instant way to easily locate ideas for my class, and even share them with others who might be actually following ME.

Once again, I am forced to humbly admit that I don’t always know what’s good for me.

Image Credits: (Unless otherwise noted-Cambria Tooley)



9 comments:

  1. I love this post. It reminds me of that commercial where he always states "never." Never getting married," shows him at the alter. "Never living in the 'burbs," shows them moving in. :)

    But back to your Twitter comments. I think this course forced me to join Twitter as well. I never jumped on the bandwagon for fear that I couldn't keep up. I still use Facebook much more, but I find myself meandering over to Twitter to check out what is new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I record shows and fast forward through commercials so I haven't seen that one! Apparently, I could make some money in advertising? :)

      Are you following "experts" in areas of interest or passion related to teaching? If not, I recommend that. It made the difference for me. I mainly have tweets that relate to ideas of my interest. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I am new to the Twitter world also, and I would agree that there is a learning curve! I struggled the most at first thinking that no one cared about the little things that I had to say, but once I started using it as a way for me to organize resources, I have been having a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your feed to see who you are following. I'm ready to add a few more to my list. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great post Cambria! I am new to Twitter as well. I don't like the idea of constantly being connected and posting posting POSTING! all the time, but I do like that Twitter has enabled me to easily find interesting posts on education. I will stay on Twitter after this class, if only to gather resources (with the favoriting) and stay current with new ideas in tech. and education. I've really enjoyed looking through all the great ideas out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that you mentioned "staying current with new ideas in technology and education" because that is something I have increased with this graduate program. I definitely see myself continuing after this summer class is over, too.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you are doing the "Tweeter" thing Cambria. It is such a great connection tool for educators. It can be a little intimidating at first for sure, but I think it is definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a consumer right now, than a producer... but it's a start! Thank you for all of your help (class list, messages, etc) and support. :)

      Delete
  5. I felt the same way about Twitter at first, a couple years ago. I was happy with Facebook and connecting with people I knew in real life. A friend and my EdTech guru freaked out when she heard I wasn't on Twitter and created my account FOR me, including setting up Tweetdeck! I had no idea what I had been missing! After feeling overwhelmed for a minute, I figured it out and now can't imagine my professional life without it.

    ReplyDelete