Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Blogging Plan



      
Google Images: Free to use or share
Our blogging professor has asked us to come up with a blogging plan for the next month or two. I have decided to share my blogging plan here, in order to maybe inspire someone else with ideas for blogging.

I carefully considered each week, and what the students and I might be learning before deciding on what our blog content should be.

I am truly motivated right now to set my new students up with blogging, and using my classroom plan to model each week’s blogging activity made perfect sense.


Our professor shared an article that said that once a week is a good amount to keep a blog going, especially for someone who is new to the community. Therefore, my plan includes creating one blog entry per week starting on a Monday, and publishing it no later than Friday.


Monday, August 24th
Create a blog entry titled: “New School Year Thoughts”. I’m not sure that will be the title, but I plan to write my thoughts about the first week of school. Maybe I will include some notes and pictures about what the students are doing.


Monday, August 31st
Create a blog entry titled: “Back to School Night Thoughts”. BTSN will be a few days before this week begins. I plan to write any thoughts that I have as a result of giving my presentation and meeting the families of my new students.


Monday, September 7th is Labor Day so I will begin the entry on Tuesday, September 8th
Create a blog entry titled: “Now that the School Year is Rolling”. At this point, two weeks will have passed and I will have a good handle on who has internet access for online homework. I plan to write an entry for the students (and parents) about how we will be doing online homework this year.


Monday, September 14th
Create a blog entry titled: “The Importance of Being Yourself”. This may or may not tie into my classroom blogging activity that is still developing in my mind. I start the school year with a project that includes writing a poem about ourselves. I plan to reflect on the project during this week.


Monday, September 21st
Create a blog entry titled: “Digital Citizenship: It’s part of your school supplies”. At this point in the school year, I would like my students to begin blogging. I plan to use this blog entry as an introduction, and will ask them to blog about something related to the topic.


Monday, September 28th
Create a blog entry titled: “Sharing your Opinions”. This will be used to model opinion writing on current events. I will use an article from Scholastic News (online) to demonstrate the steps in opinion writing. From there, my students will blog an opinion about an article.


Monday, October 5th
Create a blog entry titled: “Book Review”. I plan to write this entry in order to demonstrate for my students how to blog about a book they have read. I will also demonstrate how to upload images if we haven’t done so by now.


Monday, October 12th
Create a blog entry titled: “Playground Pet Peeves”. This will be used as an example for my students to write about issues that have come up on the school yard since school has started. I plan to use this one because it’s a hot topic that will probably invite several comments from student to student. This will give me another opportunity to model proper etiquette.

Care to share some of your blogging plan ideas here?

9 comments:

  1. Great blog ideas to keep parents informed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog ideas to keep parents informed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were created for my students to learn how to blog. I didn't think about the parents, but I could share it with them as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Digital Citizenship: It's Part of Your School Supplies. I love, love, love that idea. I love it so much, I may steal it Cambria. I think that in the rush to share technology with learners we often forget to remind them of best practices and behaviors. What a great idea, and a great overall plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week was a blur, Jeff, finishing up two classes. When I first read the email notification just now of you response, I thought YOU had come up with the title: "Digital Citizenship: It's Part of Your School Supplies". Lol I have my bright idea moments. :) Steal anything you want... I have learned quite a bit from reading your entries. It's been great blogging with you!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas! I knew there was no way I'd be able to do once a week, so I committed to two times a month, with room to add more if I feel so inspired. I love the idea of creating a plan so I know what to talk about ahead of time. I'll need to continue that kind of organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students won't be writing that much at the beginning of the year compared to later in the year so I think once a week will work for them. I, too, think it was a valuable experience to do this assignment. MKB has really given us so many resources to keep blogging!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you shared this! Having us make a plan was really useful; it's good to not have to think of a topic in the midst of all the back to school craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to think about it during the next few weeks, it would have definitely gone by the wayside!

      Delete