Wednesday, August 12, 2015

RIGOR-a key shift in mathematics

I just returned from a three hour training on our new math program. If you’re a multi-tasker like I am, then you have trouble sitting still and listening to someone “lecture” from the front of the room, too. Our district leadership has asked us to be a respectful audience and not work on other things when we are being trained, so there I sat… dutifully taking notes.


Google Images: Free to Use and Share

Then, I had an “Aha!” moment while I was taking notes and realized I could turn some of today’s training content into a blog post! Of course, I will add some personal and teaching experience to it, so it will hopefully be more enjoyable than my training was today.





  
Google Images: Free to Use and Share

What is “rigor”? What does it look like? What comes to mind?
Here are some of the answers our group came up with:
-taking more time on problems
-going deeper into learning
-maybe getting frustrated with a problem, but continuing anyway
-pushing through a problem




Google’s definition is the quality of being extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate”. The definition and explanation from corestandards.org states “Rigor refers to deep, authentic command of mathematical concepts, not making math harder or introducing topics at earlier grades. To help students meet the standards, educators will need to pursue, with equal intensity, three aspects of rigor in the major work of each grade: conceptual understanding, procedural skills and fluency, and application.

When I was in elementary school, I was a master at procedural skills and fluency. I was the first one done on the speed tests for facts, and always received 100% on math tests. And, I was bored to death... always. I remember my teachers saying that I didn’t have to do the “word problems” but I actually wanted to learn how! I loved a challenge, and needed one, too. My childhood experience doesn’t differ much from today’s children's experience which is why the common core initiative calls for key shifts in mathematics. As a third grade teacher, I have students every year that tell me “oh, my teacher said not to do those” when faced with a word problem. So, in 42 years, has nothing changed?

It’s important to teach procedures (algorithms) in math, but that is only one part of the whole picture. Understanding the math concept, and knowing when to apply the procedures is another. Word problems, or real-life application problems is a huge part of overall math competency. It is our responsibility as teachers to give our students opportunities to work through difficult problems, to spend time being somewhat frustrated, and to understand that the process is just as important as the final answer.

Please don’t be discouraged if you don’t possess the skills to give to your students. Maybe you weren’t given them as a student, either. Fortunately, there is a plethora of resources out there that can help you get started. You can learn right along with your students!

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences? Fears? Resources? Feel free to share.




8 comments:

  1. Great job turning your lecture notes into a blog! I agree that children need authentic problems to solve. If they just learn the algorithm, that doesn't mean they can apply it to anything. One issue I have with teaching math in an elementary school is the pacing guide. We are required to get through so many chapters so sometimes we don't get to spend as much time as we need working on deeper leveling thinking. I think this is going to be a struggle for a long time. We want to spend more time on each chapter, but if we don't get through everything they will start behind the following year. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Amy, that's a good question, and one that MANY teachers struggle with... I don't follow the math book's pacing guide. I teach based on the standards. So, if I find a math project or lesson that I like, I check it against the standards and keep track of which ones I have taught. I use some of the math book pages, when applicable, but find that rigor is not a huge part of it. That's what the training was about yesterday. Apparently, they have revamped our math program (Envision Math) to include the key shifts and mathematical practices. I'm skeptical.

      Delete
  2. I differentiated my math lessons when I taught first grade. I taught a whole group lesson and then met with small groups just like during reading. My students had math centers. This worked so well for myself and my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allowing all students opportunities to struggle needs to be part of their journey!

      Delete
  3. One of the classes I teach is AP Chemistry, where learning how to keep "pushing forward" through difficult content is a key aspect of meeting success. I think letting student know that instantaneous understanding simply isn't feasible all the time, and that perseverance is rewarded. Building a culture were peers work cooperatively to strategize and problem solve has also proven really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine how skilled at this your chem students would be if they started practicing in 3rd grade! :)

      Delete
    2. Exactly! It's one of the things I love about Problem Based Learning: You start with a very challenging problem/question to answer and students engage in sustained inquiry. The "answer" isn't discovered easily or quickly. It really teaches the need for perseverance.

      Delete
    3. Well, it seems we are both doing our part to prepare students for today's world! Have a great school year! :)

      Delete