Sunday, August 9, 2015

Online Homework Poll

I use online polls and surveys often with my third graders because it’s a quick and easy way to get information, and because they love completing them online. The first time I used one was early last year when a parent offered to bring in complementary food from “The Habit” and I needed to know what the kids wanted to order. Typically I would have them write it up on paper, and I would collect all of the slips. If I didn’t misplace them, I would tally up the items and communicate to the parent. Then, days later when the food arrived, I would try and recall where I put the list. Using an online form streamlined the process, and everything was accessible on Google via any device. After the initial use, I was hooked! Since I did not use one at the beginning of the year, I have been giving thought to what I would poll the students on, and have come up with the idea below.


9 comments:

  1. I like your ideas in using polls with students, in events that you used to use pencil and paper. I think teachers integrating technology need to use that mindset. What have I used in the past with pencil and paper that I could integrate technology? It may change the way they do just one little thing during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The online surveys are fun, but the main reason I use them is because they streamline the process. I always have to remember to use technology because it enhances what the students or I am doing and not just because it's fun!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I think that this is something parents could do at an open house. We have ours next Thursday, so I'm going to start planning my poll now. Thanks for sharing and good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I replied to you in the wrong spot so I'm copying/pasting here in case.

      I didn't think about parents completely the poll... it was designed for my students, but I like that idea. I could have one for both. I planned to have a "parent volunteer" survey with all of the jobs I have available.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great poll idea to see what your students have for internet access at home. I don't consistently have the tech to take polls like this on a regular basis, but I would use it all the time if I did. I am very interested in the idea of using polls for quick checks for understanding...grades it and creates an easy visual so I can quickly see what they know or don't! Time saver!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I missed this comment... Using polls for quick formative assessments is a great idea!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Google Forms! I've heard them called "The Google Gateway Drug" and they totally are! You get hooked once you start using them and there are more and more uses. I just figured out how to use data validation with forms and separate pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I never heard that, but I can see why! I'm just in love with everything Google... if I were 20 years younger, I'd be sending them a resume! ;)

      Delete